[extropy-chat] [minus1_0_1 at yahoo.de: [rael-science] First Picture of Living Human Retina Reveals Surprise]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 1 06:30:00 UTC 2005

----- Forwarded message from Friend <minus1_0_1 at yahoo.de> -----

From: Friend <minus1_0_1 at yahoo.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:42:27 +0100
To: rael-science-select at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [rael-science] First Picture of Living Human Retina Reveals Surprise

Source: LiveScience
http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/051128_eye_image.html

First Picture of Living Human Retina Reveals Surprise

28 November 2005    By Sara Goudarzi   Special to LiveScience

The first images ever made of retinas in living people reveal surprising
variation from one person to the next. Yet somehow our perceptions don't
vary as might be expected.

Imaging thousands of cells responsible for detecting color in the deepest
layer of the eye, scientists found that our eyes are wired differently.
Yet we all -- with the exception of the color blind -- identify colors
similarly.

The results suggest that the brain plays an even more significant role
than thought in deciding what we see.

Inside the eye

The eye, responsible for receiving visual images, is wrapped in three
layers of tissue [graphic]. The innermost layer, the retina, is
responsible for sensing color and sending information to the brain.

The retina contains light receptors known as cones and rods. These
receptors receive light, convert it to chemical energy, and activate the
nerves that send messages to the brain. The rods are in charge of
perceiving size, brightness and shape of images, whereas color vision and
fine details are the responsibility of the cones.

On average, there are 7 million cones in the human retina, 64 percent of
which are red, 32 percent green, and 2 percent blue, with each being
sensitive to a slightly different region of the color spectrum. At least
that's what scientists have been saying for years.

But the first complete imaging of the human retina, mapping the
arrangement of the three types of cone photoreceptors, revealed something
surprising about these numbers.

Big variation

The study found that people recognized colors in the same way. Yet the
pictures of their retinas showed there is enormous variability, sometimes
up to 40 times, in the relative number of green and red cones in the
retina.

"[This] suggests that there is a compensatory mechanism in our brain that
negates individual differences in the relative numbers of red and green
cones that we observed," Joseph Carroll, a researcher at Center for Visual
Science at University of Rochester and a collaborator of the study, told
LiveScience.

The researchers used adaptive optics imaging, which uses a camera
containing a corrective device that cancels the effects of the eye's
imperfect optics on image quality, producing a high-resolution retinal
picture.

Borrowing from astronomy

"Adaptive optics is a technique borrowed from astronomy where it is used
to obtain sharp images of stars from telescopes on the ground," said David
Williams, Director of Center for Visual Science at the University of
Rochester.  "All such telescopes suffer from blur due to the effects of
turbulence in the Earth's atmosphere. In our case, optical defects in the
cornea and lens of the eye blur images of the retina."

The measured defects were corrected using deformable mirrors, which bend
and morph according each person's eye, before taking high magnification
pictures of the eye. This allowed Williams and colleagues to see and map
single cells such as the cones.

The researchers hope to use the same techniques to better understand
various forms of color blindness and different kinds of retinal disease.

The findings were detailed in a recent issue of the Journal of
Neuroscience.

? 1999-2005 Imaginova Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

----- End forwarded message -----