[extropy-chat] Qualia should be blatantly obvious, very simple, and crystal clear.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 1 09:54:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 02:24:35AM -0700, Brent Allsop wrote:

> represents with FF0000, we represent the same
> point in our conscious world with ? drum roll please ? the quale red.

No. We represent that as a neuronal activity pattern.
The robot has no more internal view of its hardware
layer than you have of your pink and squishy wetware
layer between your ears.

> Now, if it is not crystal clear to you that the
> quale red we use to represent this information in
> our conscious world has some very important
> fundamental differences or if you will
> ?qualities? from the abstract number our robot

Clear as drek. You keep iterating assertions, while
adding not a single bit of information in all those
paragraphs. Neither did Hal in his essay of a post.

> uses ? then again ? there is something about this
> theory of perception, consciousness, and qualia
> that you are missing or not properly thinking

"You're not properly thinking about" is not an argument.

> about.  Because it should be blatantly obvious,
> very simple, and crystal clear.  At least it
> seems that way to me when I think of it this way.

I don't think you're really thinking when you
think you're thinking.

What's your opinion on gun control?