[extropy-chat] Qualia should be blatantly obvious, very simple, and crystal clear.

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Thu Dec 1 09:24:35 UTC 2005

Samantha Atkins,

 > Says you.  Please explain the difference.  It looks pretty empty to me.

Yes, you must be missing something or not
thinking about this theory of perception and
phenomenal properties in the right way because it
should be blatantly obvious, very simple, and crystal clear.

Here is a big part of the way I think about it.

First lets construct a robot with stereoscopic 3D vision.

Lets give this robot 2 stereoscopic cameras that
are an order of magnitude higher resolution than
our own eyes.  These two cameras produce two
pixel arrays of data that represents two 2D
pictures of a strawberry it is looking at.  Lets
also say the color depth of this information is
also an order of magnitude deeper than the color
depth we can perceive.  Lets give this robot some
powerful parallel image processing machinery that
can real time construct from these two 2D video
images a 3D model of the strawberry.  Lets
represent this 3D model with a simple
high-resolution 3D array and call each point in
the array a color “voxel” for volume picture element.

So, the final result is - for each point on the
surface of the strawberry that reflects 700
nanometer light, the corresponding voxel in this
array in the mind of our robot has an abstract
number representing red – something like
FF0000.  Of course this number can be represented
by everything from voltages on a set of wires or
pits on a CD, to wholes punched in paper – and in
fact anything in physics that can assume a
causally detectable state with sufficient
resolution will suffice.  So the only important
part of this abstract information is its numeric value: FF0000.

Now, lets say we want our robot to be “self
aware” so when it sees its arms it also produces
a model of numbers in this same array that
represent the location of its real arms that are
able to pick up the strawberry.  In fact lets
give it internal sensors of its entire self so
there is a fairly complete model of itself in
this same 3D array.  So, since it has knowledge
of itself we can say it is self-aware.  And since
all the visual knowledge is an order of magnitude
greater resolution and depth than what we are
visually aware of we can claim that the robot is
an order of magnitude more visually aware of the strawberry than we are.

Now an interesting property of this poor robot –
as we have designed it for efficiency purposes –
is that it is being deceived.  It thinks its
knowledge of the strawberry is the real
strawberry and its knowledge of its arms picking
up its knowledge of the strawberry are its real
arms.  Especially since they track each other so
accurately.  But we, the designers, know better
and leave it at that – having faith that the
robot will eventually be able to figure out how
things really are on its own after philosophizing
about how it might be directly aware of anything
beyond its cause and effect eyes for centuries.

Now, when we look at a theory of ourselves, and
how we are consciously aware of things we
perceive – we can imagine that we might have very
many similarities to this robot.  We have two
eyes with reasonable resolution.  We have a
powerful parallel image processing system that is
able to convert 2 2D stereoscopic images into 3D
information.  And for every corresponding point
on the strawberry that our robot friend
represents with FF0000, we represent the same
point in our conscious world with – drum roll please – the quale red.

Now, if it is not crystal clear to you that the
quale red we use to represent this information in
our conscious world has some very important
fundamental differences or if you will
“qualities” from the abstract number our robot
uses – then again – there is something about this
theory of perception, consciousness, and qualia
that you are missing or not properly thinking
about.  Because it should be blatantly obvious,
very simple, and crystal clear.  At least it
seems that way to me when I think of it this way.

Brent Allsop