[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 05:35:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:10:05 -0500, Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> I think it is more accurate to say that we are built to assume that we
> have
> direct experience.  Our brain is made to tell us that of course we have
> it. But assuming something is different from having evidence of it.

Seems true to me. Obviously for example we don't have direct experience of
light... if we have experience of color at all then it's experience of the
electro-chemical signal sent up the optic nerve to the visual center in
the back of the brain.

My field of vision seems to be near the front of my brain, somewhere near
the general vicinity of my eyes, but actually it's in the back of my
brain. Obviously an illusion.

I think it's true that qualia are in some sense abstractions or mental
constructs (after all, what else could they possibly be?), but I wonder if
they have objective reality in a rational or Platonic sense, in the way
that numbers seem to. If so then perhaps they *are* communicable, similar
to the way 1+1=2 is communicable.

-gts