[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Acy Stapp acy.stapp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 05:54:20 UTC 2005

On 12/1/05, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think it's true that qualia are in some sense abstractions or mental
> constructs (after all, what else could they possibly be?), but I wonder if
> they have objective reality in a rational or Platonic sense, in the way
> that numbers seem to. If so then perhaps they *are* communicable, similar
> to the way 1+1=2 is communicable.
>
> -gts

That's the whole gist of the entire discussion, isn't it? But qualia
are the essence, the atoms of subjectivity. They only make sense in
the context of the perceiver as a relationship between a mind and a
percept. It's like asking what my marriage would be like if my wife
and I were two different people and we lived in Borneo.

Acy
--
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw