[extropy-chat] letter concerning presidential growth

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 14 23:31:44 UTC 2005

Alan, I understand dismay, but I don't know what you are talking about when you refer to "Mike Arvey's consiracy theory piece in the Sounding Off column".  I don't know who Mike Arvey is, or why I should care that he is "sounding off" in a column called Sounding Off.

If you are "sound off" expressing your dismay then I'm *slightly* predisposed towards caring because you have self selected a list I post to to do it on and that reinforces that you might have something in common with me on some level.

I am dismayed too. I think that America has been the greatest country on earth, but I fear that it might have become irredeemable since the Bush administration went that final step in corrupting the UN, and invading Iraq illegally. I think that when Bush set aside that law, he also broke his own oath to the US people, but then the US people reelected him and the only way that I can think of would undo the harm done would be for you to impeach your President and try him for any crimes and then and only when America has cleaned its own house, should the UN be reformed.

As things stand, now almost everything about America and Americans as a collective sample of priviledged selfish stupid humanity dismays me.

Do I think Australians or any other nationality are any better? No. My dismay with America and Americans is because your country was the best and your people as a collective were more empowered than any others to make the future better.

The world has taken a turn for the worse in our lives and on our watch. Freedoms in so called democratic countries are being lost.

And we are all in part responsible for it but those who could do have done more and chose to do less are more responsible. Americans have a Bill of Rights to protect them and a Constitution that is their contract with each other and with the President and yet they do nothing.

If I cannot hold America as a whole responsible for what America does in the world then who can I hold responsible?  Americans re-elected Bush. And I think in so doing, as a collective, they became a net liability to human progress.

Brett Paatsch