[extropy-chat] Consciousness is a process in multi-dimensionaltime! [Was: Qualia Bet]

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Thu Dec 15 23:23:41 UTC 2005

Stuart,

> Well one could say that color was simply a certain
> number of vibrations in the electromagnetic field in a
> given unit of time. By this definition red would still
> be the same to a human and to an alien no matter what
> it looked like to the alien and five would still be
> five no matter what the alien called it as long as
> they were looking at the same color and counting
> vibrations.

No, this has nothing to do with color since you could rip a person's eye
out, put him in a dark room with no light.  Then if you stimulate his optic
nerve properly - he will experience lots of color.  Right?

Color is the final result of the perception process in our brain.  It is our
knowledge of what we are perceiving - not its referent.

Brent Allsop