[extropy-chat] Consciousness is a process in multi-dimensional time! [Was: Qualia Bet]

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 23:12:57 UTC 2005

--- gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to see the bridge between numbers and
> colors. One way to do
> that is to objectify colors in the same way we do
> platonic ideas like
> "five-ness".

Well one could say that color was simply a certain
number of vibrations in the electromagnetic field in a
given unit of time. By this definition red would still
be the same to a human and to an alien no matter what
it looked like to the alien and five would still be
five no matter what the alien called it as long as
they were looking at the same color and counting
vibrations.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)