[extropy-chat] RE: letter concerning presidential growth

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Fri Dec 16 04:02:35 UTC 2005

Dan wrote:
> Getting back to socio-cultural evolution, I think Alan simplifies this
> to an extreme.  Not only do his statements make it seem he thinks it's
> linear and constant everywhere, but also that it's always a progress.  I
> think it's far to say the future is an open issue and that any gains
> made today can be lost tomorrow.  (On a political note: the failure to
> see this is probably why some people are willing to trade hard won
> freedoms, such as the right to property or freedom of expression, for
> things they judge as progressive, such as the Prussian welfare state of
> wealth redistribution and nationalized healthcare that sadly has
> captured the imagination of elites on both sides of the Atlantic since
> 1900.)
> Dan

There may not be a linear/progressive evolution apparent in superpower
social systems but they do have some historical similarities. One important
point I think is that they are/were all underpinned by some non-economic
rationale - something moral, aesthetic, altruistic, noble, philosophical etc
etc.

By way of quick and non-comprehensive example:
1) The US: Freedom, equality, justice, family values and humanitarian
treatment for all etc....
2) The British Empire: Notions of fair play, unimpeachable honesty, the work
ethic, ideas of nobility of service, free speech.
3) The USSR - Collective sharing, comradeship, grass-roots participation in
the political process, caring for the underdog etc ...
4) Ancient Rome/Greece: A fine appreciation of the value of intellectual
discourse, interest in pure research, patronage of the arts etc...
5) China: Valuing education, aesthetics and culture above all else - and
therefore appointing poets and artists as governors and rulers... etc...

In each case above, it seems to me that the Empire's failure begins when it
starts to routinely compromise it's own ideals in the interests of
expediency. In this regard, US phenomena such as the current trade-offs of
personal freedoms for 'security,' the suspension of individual rights 'to
fight terror,' the reintroduction of torture, and internment without trial
of alleged terrorists - are all more than disquieting examples of wrong
action. They are symptomatic of the decline of a superpower.

As the front-line commanders will always say - 'We had to destroy that
village in order to save it! Sir!'

Contemporary politics are to a great extent about putting the cart before
the horse. But, there is no merit in abanding a set of values in order to
protect them. All action taken, should be taken (and judged) in light of how
it reflects the values it allegedly promotes, defends and represents.

Isn't this how we judge a true statesman and world leader? This is a person
whose actions are not just correct in the sense of timing, execution and
format. But they are directly linked to and representative of, the values
and philosophy of the vast majority of the people - this is a true 'voice of
the people' - a leader with immense personal integrity and the respect of
all.

Unfortunately, such people are not common. The best you can say of the bunch
we work with is that (usually) they try in their limited way. No wonder the
Chinese thought it best to appoint poets, artists, and calligraphers as
senior political figures. They were not silly - they well understood the
shortcomings of the officials they appointed - and they were prepared to
tolerate inefficiencies in trade and resource management in order to ensure
that the underlying cultural values were maintained at all costs. And the
system worked... The cat got skinned in yet another way...
Jack Parkinson