[extropy-chat] terrorist self-hatred?

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 11:29:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:00:14 -0500, Brett Paatsch
<bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Terrorist is a pejorative term used for political purposes.
> A person would no more claim to be or self-identify as
> a terrorist than they would claim to be or self-identify
> as an evil-doer.

True, but an objective definition of 'terrorist' still seems possible.
Unlike other soldiers, (and I use that word loosely), terrorist soldiers
use fear as a weapon. Lacking conventional weapons, they believe they have
no other recourse.

> If there was an internationally agreed definition of terrorism
> they there would be an internationally agreed criteria deciding
> whether a person was a terrorist.  I don't think there is one.

I think you're right that we should have an internationally agreed
definition of "terrorist," if no such definition already exists,
especially with regard to *international* terrorists. Many people make no
distinction between Iraqi insurgents and international terrorists like
Osama bin Laden and Al-Zarqawi.

-gts