[extropy-chat] terrorist self-hatred?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 16 07:00:14 UTC 2005

gts wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:31:55 -0500, Brett Paatsch
> <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Spike wrote:
>>
>>> .. terrorists hate everybody, including themselves.
>>
>> I doubt that you could find any expert anywhere that
>> would agree with the crazy-boogie man assessment.
>
> I'm wondering about the same question. Why do terrorists
> hate themselves, assuming they do?

Obviously people who are pointed at and called terrorists
don't think they are terrorists.

Terrorist is a pejorative term used for political purposes.

A person would no more claim to be or self-identify as
a terrorist than they would claim to be or self-identify
as an evil-doer.

If there was an internationally agreed definition of terrorism
they there would be an internationally agreed criteria deciding
whether a person was a terrorist.  I don't think there is one.
But folks have Google etc, they can feel free to check.

In the absence of such a definition and a such a criterion
then naturally governments will want to define to terrorists
in their only terms. That doesn't make the person so defined
so self-identity.

Brett Paatsch