[extropy-chat] insanity

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 08:41:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 02:27:58 -0500, J. Andrew Rogers
<andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> Remember, when 80% of  the rest of the population is insane, it is not
> *they* who are insane  but you -- justask them.

Yep.

On this day I feel annoyed by those who seem to consider the relentless
pursuit of knowledge a form of "obsession."

Yesterday morning I read this excellent article about physics and the
philosophy of science:

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-58/iss-12/p34.html

This passage caught my eye:

"The assumption of mutually independent photons does not yield a
derivation of the full Planck formula for the energy density of blackbody
radiation. Einstein realized that fact, and for nearly 20 years he sought
to understand how it could be."

Einstein thought about this problem for 20 years.

Thank goodness for sick, obsessive, mentally ill people like Albert
Einstein.

-gts