[extropy-chat] The existential threat of international law

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:04:50 UTC 2005

On 12/23/05, Hughes, James J. <james.hughes at trincoll.edu> wrote:

> > Oppose international law, the United Nations
> > and anything that reduces world political disunity.
>
> A succinct statement of a view I fundamentally disagree with.

IAnd one with which I agree, being a nationalist.

All of the existential threats we face - from proliferation of weapons
> of mass destruction to eco-catastrophe to asteroid impacts - will be
> more effectively countered by the strengthening of transnational
> governance.

Only in the sphere of applicability. Global threats need global responses.
However, in your utopia Transhumanism itself could quite easily be defined
as a 'global threat'. Indeed, some parts of the US establishment already see
it that way and are trying to enact global bans on crucial technologies. The
only thing that stops them is the lack of ability to control capitalist and
nationalist competition. With every nation neutered or abolished neither of
these factors would be in play because a world govt would have the last
word. And at best that world govt would be no better than the US today, with
its pandering to monopolist money and religious lunatics, and at worst a
global tyranny the like of which the world has never seen. Fortunately, key
players in determining the future are not toeing your line.

Thank the Gods for China!

Dirk