[extropy-chat] Politics: worthwhile commentary

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:44:25 UTC 2005

I agree with Dirk, that politics is somewhat different.  In part because it
is constantly shifting.  So unlike a "hard" science it is difficult to
establish who the authoritative sources are.

I find Friedman appealing on several levels.  He has concrete experience
following the policy makers going back ~15 years.  He has actually *been* on
the ground everyplace from Lebanon to India.  He was selected by the
publisher of the NY Times to be an editorial columnist.  He does not seem to
hesitate when taking those in power to task when they are screwing up.

Most importantly -- every time I read one of his columns, or hear him speak,
it usually makes complete sense to me.  I.e. his arguments are very well
reasoned.

If the singularity is coming, and if we hope to survive it, I would suggest
that it might be useful to identify and at least listen to those people who
seem to be capable of having crucial insights.

When I see people running around citing "international law", "treaties",
etc. I am inclined to reflect (unfortunately -- as it is most probably time
poorly spent) on the degree to which "they" most probably do not "get" it.

Robert