[extropy-chat] Politics

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:51:17 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, nvitamore at austin.rr.com <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Dirk wrote:
>
> >>This method has to work for social problems or it is no good.  I think
> all
> >>social problems involve cultural clashes, don't they?  And usually these
> >>clashes can be reduced to religious or political views in which
> individual
> >>rights (freedom of choice) are not respected.
>
> >That statement is a perfect example of the kind of cultural blindness
> that
> >results in the failure of such programs. You are assuming that the issues
> >revolve around individual rights - which they do - in *your* culture.
>
> Perhaps you are the one wearing blinders.  Your question to me was "How
> would you use your technique to resolve the abortion debate in the US?"

I provided that as an example of an intractable social problem within one
society/culture.
Multiply that if you want to attempt anything between societies/cultures.
The only viable solution IMO is nationalism and MYOB - fence off viable bits
of land where people of similar views can live under laws of their own
making. The alternative is war on all scales - from urban crime to Iraq-like
invasions to AQ.

As I said, there is no universal ethic for sorting out these problems.

Dirk