[extropy-chat] Re: Qualia Bet

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 05:54:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:29:39 -0500, Marc Geddes <marc.geddes at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Tomatoes are red after all, just as common-sense was informing us all
>> along.

> Tonight, take a tomato from your kitchen.  Look at it in the dark.
> You'll see that its grey, not red ;)

So tomatoes in the dark are grey, just as common-sense was informing us
all along.

> But if you agree that color perception is generated by brain
> processes, how on Earth can you think that colors are out there in the
> world then? ;)

Hmm... I don't see the red tomato when I close my eyes, so I figure it
must be out there somewhere. :)

But remember that the Chalmers/Clark idea of extended mind removes that
paradox. Colors are both 'out there' in the world and 'in here' in our
minds. Our minds contain the objects of our perception.

> I think I've answered that one before.  I agree that one could  say
> that there's a sort of 'true green' (in the sense of an 'archetype'
> for green).  But as I said earlier, I think this exists in Plato's
> world.  It's not a property which physical objects have.

For your theory to seem consistent, I think you should say that colors are
properties of colored objects in the same way that platonic circularity is
a property of circular objects.

-gts