[extropy-chat] the structure of randomness

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 07:55:41 UTC 2005

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:58:03 -0500, Russell Wallace
<russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> The part I don't understand is: the distribution apparently deviated from
> the bell curve; is it the case that the deviation was no greater than
> would be expected by chance?

The distributions do not deviate in any significant way from normal, but
the *fine structures* of multiple histograms seem correlated in time. For
example a bell-curve with a slightly "m-ish" shape (two subtle peaks) will
tend to appear again in the next test. That "m-ish" propensity then falls
off with time.

> If so, suppose the number of samples were increased by some factor and
> the shape stayed the same (ratherthan converging on the bell curve as
> the number approached infinity),would it start failing the test for
> normalcy at some point?

My intuition is no; I think these distributions will always appear normal.
(I don't know why I think this is so, except that I don't think the
universe is going to give it up that easy. :)

What is needed here is a test for similarities in the fine structures of
the histograms. John Walker used the chi-square goodness of fit test.

-gts