[extropy-chat] Re: The Force of Human Freedom

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Wed Feb 2 01:23:48 UTC 2005

I'm really sorry I dipped into this thread and I intend to take Eugen's gentle nudge to heart.  No one on one side of this divide is going to change the minds of anyone on the other side here in this forum through the medium of email.  But I'll say in a nutshell what I think needs to happen to combat what I see as essentially a cultural war of gargarntuan proportions: Enlightenment Modernism (of which I see transhumanism as the current cutting edge) is fighting a two-front war against Pre-modernism (militant religiosity, most especially militant Islam) and Post-modernism (e.g. cultural and moral relativism, anti-scientism).  This is a conflict that will ultimately determine whether we can realize our post-human destiny or, alternatively, see a world ground down through a lack of progress and suffocation in its own waste products.  There is only a VERY small core of Enlightenment Modernist advocates; the Enlightenment struggle is crippled by our very humanism that translates into a kind of civility that won't condemn Islam for the misogynistic warrior-cult that it is and has allowed much of our own cultural machinery  to fall into the hands of crippling relativism.  My prescription: recognize that whether we like it or not we ARE in a cultural war and act accordingly.

GB