[extropy-chat] Re: The Force of Human Freedom

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Wed Feb 2 02:40:46 UTC 2005

From: "Greg Burch" <gregburch at gregburch.net>

> I'm really sorry I dipped into this thread and I intend to take Eugen's
> gentle nudge to heart.  No one on one side of this divide is going to
> change the minds of anyone on the other side here in this forum through
> the medium of email.  But I'll say in a nutshell what I think needs to
> happen to combat what I see as essentially a cultural war of gargarntuan
> proportions: Enlightenment Modernism (of which I see transhumanism as the
> current cutting edge) is fighting a two-front war against Pre-modernism
> (militant religiosity, most especially militant Islam) and Post-modernism
> (e.g. cultural and moral relativism, anti-scientism).  This is a conflict
> that will ultimately determine whether we can realize our post-human
> destiny or, alternatively, see a world ground down through a lack of
> progress and suffocation in its own waste products.  There is only a VERY
> small core of Enlightenment Modernist advocates; the Enlightenment
> struggle is crippled by our very humanism that translates !> into a kind
> of civility that won't condemn Islam for the misogynistic warrior-cult
> that it is and has allowed much of our own cultural machinery  to fall
> into the hands of crippling relativism.  My prescription: recognize that
> whether we like it or not we ARE in a cultural war and act accordingly.

And now ... a word from our sponsor.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

"In his million-copy bestseller Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond
examined how and why Western civilizations developed the technologies and
immunities that allowed them to dominate much of the world. Now in this
brilliant companion volume, Diamond probes the other side of the equation:
What caused some of the great civilizations of the past to collapse into
ruin, and what can we learn from their fates?":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0670033375/qid=1104761086/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-4080716-5351264?v=glance&s=books

... and now back to our regular programming.

Olga