[extropy-chat] Silicon Valley pod villages?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 05:37:50 UTC 2005

> Mike Lorrey

> Hey, for you all in the Valley, I've been wondering recently, given the
> still sky-high cost of living out there, if anybody has started
> developing body-locker type pod villages for low level tech workers to
> reside in locally (y'know, rather than having to commute an hour each
> way in the morning).... what is the word on this?

We have had these around here for at least 40 years Mike.
They call them cars.  {8^D  If one knows where to look one
can find plenty of people living in their rides.  We had a guy
at the rocket ranch doing that for a while, and at least one
contractor who lived in a small motorhome on campus for over
a year.  Those people who hold the "homeless" signs are not
actually claiming to be carless.  A lot of the apartments
that get four figure rents around here are not far from the
body locker pod villages.