[extropy-chat] Silicon Valley pod villages?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 18:55:52 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Not with me, I thought it a legitimate observation.  All along
> the U.S. west coast, housing prices have been sustained at absurd
> levels, mostly thru artificial scarcity.  To develop land here,
> one must pay off a long line of people, the greens, the natives,
> the politicians, everyone who lives nearby.  For that reason,
> you can be sure someone will kill the bod pod notion.  There
> just isn't enough money to get the interested parties to
> buy in.  There is plenty of land, Mike.  The shortage of
> housing is very much intentional.
>
> Its something this society will really need to deal with,
> for the poor, and now the middle class simply cannot afford
> housing in many places along the west coast.

Have I got a deal for you, Spike (and the rest of you extropes feeling
the pinch on the west coast). Airbus is going to be building an
assembly plant in Portsmouth, NH at the old Pease Tradeport (Formerly
Pease AFB) and is expected to create 6,000 jobs. When the Navy closes
Portsmouth Shipyard, it is planned that Airbus will be shipping in
fuselage sections from europe to that location.

Airbus is doing this program to beat the Euro-Dollar exchange rate, as
well as to eliminate the WTO issues of european subsidies of Airbus
(whether they try to compete for US subsidies against Boeing is another
question). I haven't got a link yet on this, just got it through the
political grapevine yesterday.

Other job opps: a chip R&D company is building a facility in Colebrook,
NH and will be employing about 300 people. They are looking for
engineering talent.
http://www.sununu.senate.gov/pressapp/record.cfm?id=224894&&year=2004&

Those of you with just too much equity in your Silicon Valley homes
could move to NH and be living large. As a point of comparison: Spike's
home, which I am familiar with, as are a number of other extropes,
would go for about $250-350k here in NH, depending on where it was
located in the state, but would have a lot more land, typically at
least an acre or two.

Your cost of living would be much lower, and your extra equity could be
earning you money on the market.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)