[extropy-chat] Silicon Valley pod villages?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 8 19:53:32 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Your cost of living would be much lower, and your
> extra equity could be
> earning you money on the market.

Unfortunately, that mostly works only for those who
are ready to retire from serious technical
development as a career.  (Or if you never were into
tech as a career in the first place.)  Sure, the costs
are lower, but the salaries seem to be
disproportionately lower in many cases.  And then,
possibly most importantly, there's the support network
around here.

You mention a few technical development jobs in NH.  I
can easily find thousands of employers looking for
tech developers of all stripes around here, so many
that I don't have to worry if one or a whole string of
employers goes bankrupt.  (For me, that's not just
metaphor: that really did happen to three of my past
employers in a row.  And, yes, I can prove it was no
fault of mine in each case.)  What if you're a biotech
developer?  What if your specialty is in audio codecs
or artificial intelligence?  Or what if, being into
tech yourself, you found a SO is also into tech - but
one of the flavors that would be left out in the cold
(no pun intended) by moving to NH?

I appreciate the sentiment, but something about your
pitch just seems...well, almost like you're talking
down to us if you think one or two companies looking
for help is anywhere near equal.  So you might want to
work on your pitch.  (Or on developing NH so that it
does surpass Silicon Valley.)