[extropy-chat] Silicon Valley pod villages?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Feb 8 23:39:21 UTC 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> --- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Your cost of living would be much lower, and your
>> extra equity could be
>> earning you money on the market.
>
> Unfortunately, that mostly works only for those who
> are ready to retire from serious technical
> development as a career.  (Or if you never were into
> tech as a career in the first place.)  Sure, the costs
> are lower, but the salaries seem to be
> disproportionately lower in many cases.  And then,
> possibly most importantly, there's the support network
> around here.

Boston and MIT are much too close for this to be all that creditable.
Also telecommuting is quite viable.   I'm not sure just what sort of
support network you are referring to and I've been in the bay area for
28 years.   Have I missed something critical for most of that time?

> You mention a few technical development jobs in NH.  I
> can easily find thousands of employers looking for
> tech developers of all stripes around here, so many
> that I don't have to worry if one or a whole string of
> employers goes bankrupt.

Tell it to dozens of unemployed techies I know personally.

> I appreciate the sentiment, but something about your
> pitch just seems...well, almost like you're talking
> down to us if you think one or two companies looking
> for help is anywhere near equal.  So you might want to
> work on your pitch.  (Or on developing NH so that it
> does surpass Silicon Valley.)

While there is some truth in what you say I think it wise to push our
careers toward location independence as much as possible.