[extropy-chat] FWD (Got Caliche?) A Progressive 12-step Program

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 8 20:11:18 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Jeez, I was hoping someone would say that.  I
> > wonder if I am the only person who couldn't
> > tell the difference between those two guys.  I
> often thought
> > all that senator guy would have needed to win was
> > differentiate himself, in some meaningful way,
> from the
> > incumbent.  I even listened to all the debates,
> still couldn't
> > tell them apart, other than one was taller.  It
> was a rerun
> > of 2000.

Winning strategy: scare the other guy into being you
to try to get votes.  You, of course, have more
practice at and thus will be better at being you.
Doesn't work as well if there are several competitors,
or if you have an opponent with enough backbone to
be himself.  (And it usually is "he".)

> I have to nominate "This Land is My Land" by JibJab
> to be the best
> political satire of the 21st century, so far.

Nice disqualifier, that. ;)  But yeah, I'd agree.