[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Debunked

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 08:59:06 UTC 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Olga Bourlin wrote:

> From: "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at mac.com>
>
>> This is getting old.  Compared to the outrageous lies of this
>> administration everything media has done or is alleged to have done
>> is very small potatoes.
>
> Yes, yes, yes.  A hundred times yes.
>
> What's going on in this country? - a plague of AADD? (for how quickly
> "we" seem to forget).

My theory is that the truth is bad enough that most people nearly
instinctively wiggle out of ever looking it straight in the eye.   I am
not immune to that myself though I try to notice when it is happening.

It looks to me like our natural proclivities in this regard have been
carefully cultivated, boosted and relentlessly manipulated.

> The lies of this administration have been unprecedented in their
> audacity, smugness, shiftiness, and self-righteousness.  Where's the
> accountability? Does anyone care about integrity anymore?  (and
> ...What's happening to the hitherto-implicit respect for science?)

there has always been a real anti-intellectual undercurrent in the US.
Now it is above ground and increasingly flaunting its immunity to
reason.

> And (yes, another yes) I've asked this question before:  Where's the
> outrage?

That may be the scariest part of all.  Especially when I notice that my
own outrage slips away all too easily.   Maybe they did but something
in the water or otherwise perfect population control.

- samantha