[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sat Feb 12 09:45:53 UTC 2005

From: "spike"

> I am going more towards the notion that quantum weirdness
> might be evidence of the existence of a meta-simulation
> in which we might exist.

John Bell used to say something like the above, talking
about the weird correlations between entangled quantum
systems (and related 'non-separability' between separated
quantum systems, better known as 'non-locality').

(I must say that Bell, being a realist, did not believe,
really, in the possibility of a 'simulation', also
known as 'super-determinism').

He asked, in example ....

A. Are there free variables *in* the overlap
   of the *backward* light cones of *instruments*
   testing those correlations between separated
   quantum systems?

.... and also .....

B. Are there free variables *outside* the overlap
   of the *backward* light cones of *instruments* testing
   those correlations between separated quantum systems?
   (Example. Do we believe in the Big-Bang? So, the Big-Bang
   could be *that* very remote cause, for present weird
   correlations. From a logical p.o.v.).

... and also ....

C. Do observers (of those instruments) have free will?
   Are they *free* to set their *apparently* random parameters,
   revealing those weird correlations between quantum systems?

... and then ...

D. Are observers and (which is more important) measurement
   apparata *without* or *within* the physical system to be
   measured? In other words, is the measurement apparatus
   measuring *itself*, at least partially, thus causing the
   weird correlation?

Point B, C, D are not the usual 'EPR-loopholes'. Their
nature is more logical, or epistemic, than factual.

Notice that some of the points above introduce a strong
Goedelian issue in the QM picture of the universe.
As noticed by Asher Peres, W. Zurek, and by T. Breuer
here below
http://www.staff.fh-vorarlberg.ac.at/tb/

s.

"It has been argued that quantum mechanics
is not locally causal and cannot be embedded
in a locally causal theory. That conclusion
depends on treating certain experimental parameters,
typically the orientations of polarization filters,
as free variables. But it might be that this apparent
freedom is illusory. Perhaps experimental parameters
and experimental results are both consequences,
or partially so, of some common hidden mechanism.
Then the apparent non-locality could be simulated."
- John Bell, "Free Variables and Local Causality",
  'Epistemological Letters', 15, (1977)

"That the theory is supposed to apply fundamentally
to the world as a whole requires ultimately that
'any' observers be included in the system."
- John Bell