[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 13:51:11 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> and again, incidentally:
>
> >At 08:40 PM 2/11/2005 -0800, Spike Jones wrote:
> >
> >>Step 10.  Given sufficient knowledge of the meta-device
> >>upon which we could exist, it would in theory be possible to
> >>predict the outcome of a stochastic process better than
> >>would be expected from the law of averages.  This is
> >>getting me nervously close to saying that psi could be
> >>real somehow, even if not at all understood.
>
> The problem here is that (as far as I could determine) there *isn't*
> any surprising excess of winners en masse in lotteries, and I looked
> at an awful lot of numbers. So if there's an aperture for
> precognition there, lottery punters are not using it (or the psi
> meisters are very few in number and being extremely subtle about it).

Actually, I think the stats will show that there are an excessive
number of individuals who have won multiple lotteries.

That there are not more such people I think only speaks to the fact
that those who play it the most don't have the capital to play the full
range of numbers needed to win more than once in a lifetime. As they
say: "if you HAVE to win it, you shouldn't be playing it."

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)