AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat]Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Feb 13 09:45:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:53:39PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> This is a valid question.  We seriously overbuilt bandwidth in the 90s.

SMTP is a negligible fraction of total traffic. Because ISPs require
customers to send/receive email via their infrastructure instead of directly, these
machines are hit hard.

The solution is obvious.

> So that a large percentage of current traffic is spam may not be as
> scary as it at first looks.   My spam filters are very efficient

Spam is not a problem at end user end, bandwidth-wise (apart from a few cases
on dialup and thousands of spam messages/day).

> currently.  i only have to hand sort about a dozen messages a day.  If
> this was true of more people the profitability would decrease.

Any solution beginning with "people should..." doesn't work.