[extropy-chat] pest-devouring automaton

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jan 1 07:44:21 UTC 2005

No question that a self-powering machine would be nice.  But this isn't
quite that any more than humans are fully "self-powering".   It needs an
external source of "nutrition" to convert to power.   If it isn't too
much trouble to self-contain a very long-lasting energy source then why
not avoid all that messy biological digestion and dependence on
biological food supply?   I imagine we would like to use such small
robots in environments having no guarantee of an adequate supply of
flies or whatever.

As far as having robots eat various undesirable things I think we are
more adept at adapting existing biological creatures, from microbes on
up, to such purposes for many applications.   So far, where they exist,
the biological solutions are often cheaper.

-s