[extropy-chat] paper or plastic

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 1 17:50:35 UTC 2005

Have the greens weighed in on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/12/29/milk.cartons.ap/index.html

"So much for the school milk carton
Children drink more out of bottles, so schools switching
Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Posted: 11:37 AM EST (1637 GMT)

"Paper or plastic? Students prefer the latter when it comes to milk
containers..."

"(AP) -- Yet another familiar school-days object may be going the way of the
inkwell and the slide rule.

"Encouraged by a milk industry study that shows children drink more dairy
when it comes in round plastic bottles, a growing number of schools are
ditching those clumsy paper half-pint cartons many of us grew up with..."

With the kids switching from relatively quickly biodegrading
paper milk cartons to plastic bottles (which will be in the
landfill for approximately an eternity) I am surprised no
one has suggested legislation to encourage the old fashioned
paper cartons.

I am not a green, but even *I* can see this development is a
big step backwards.