[extropy-chat] sri lanka tragedy a result of global warming?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:46:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:20:53 -0800 (PST), Mike Lorrey wrote:
> Don't you realize that the global banking/oil conspiracy is controlled
> from Pellucidar, the center of the Earth, and these earthquakes are the
> result of underground real estate development in the salt domes vacated
> by oil? I would've thought your psychics would have told you that....

I've just read a news article that points out that the main cause of
the tremendous damage was due to deforestation of the beaches (due to
population expansion and the tourist industry).

See: <http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=54059>

Forests, mangroves and thick vegetation along or close to the coast
also stood their ground against the massive waves that lashed the
southeastern Coromandel coast of India Dec 26.

Nagapattinam wildlife warden A.D. Baruah pointed out that the coast
between Nagoore and Nagapattinam has seen relatively less damage
because of a government campaign to put up plantations.

Only two deaths were reported from this forested area.

"Damages have been restricted also in the Vedaranyam-Kodiampalayam
section because of the Casuarina forest stretches promoted here since
1999," he added. "Matured plantations reduced the force of the killer
waves."

Elsewhere in Tamil Nadu, dense mangroves protected human settlements
west of the coastline.

M.S. Swaminathan, chairman of the M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation
(MSSRF), said in Chennai: "Though we cannot prevent tsunamis, we
should certainly prepare ourselves to mitigate the impact on the
population along the coastal ecosystems.

"Our anticipatory research work to preserve mangrove ecosystems as the
first line of defence against devastating tidal waves on the eastern
coastline has proved very relevant today. The dense mangrove forests
stood like a wall to save coastal communities living behind them," he
added.
End Quote.

So humans chopping all the trees down left an unrestricted path for
the wave to sweep all the construction away. Just as in the mountains
deforestation has caused soil erosion and floods. It's obvious really,
once it is pointed out.

BillK