[extropy-chat] sri lanka tragedy a result of global warming?

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Mon Jan 3 19:49:58 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

>Any good trial lawyer knows that the key to getting
>the client a good settlement is in finding deep-pockets
>responsible.  So we must somehow determine that the earthquake
>that caused the tsunami was a result of global warming,
>which is a result of SUVs, not god.  If we have low
>standards for proof, how can we imagine rising global
>temperatures having caused the Sri Lankan tragedy?  How
>about: higher temperatures caused the seismic plates
>to expand, thus causing them to slip against each other.
>Or: rising global temperatures changed the migration paths
>of local birds, resulting in their landing in an unaccustomed
>location, changing the loading pattern on the tectonic plate,
>resulting in a sudden fracture?  My father in law has suggested
>that pumping all that oil out of the ground allowed the earth
>to collapse into the resulting cavities.

Try this as a 'cause' of high casualties.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4127927.stm

"* Commonwealth Secretary General Don McKinnon has backed calls for a
tsunami warning system in the Indian Ocean after Sunday's undersea
earthquake. *

He was speaking after scientists said many of the 20,000 people killed
by the sea surges could have been saved by an international monitoring
network.

He told the BBC: "Surely there's a means of informing people in the
Indian Ocean that this is about to happen."

A similar system has existed in the Pacific Ocean for more than 50 years."

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org