[extropy-chat] sri lanka tragedy a result of global warming?

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 4 00:20:38 UTC 2005

An interesting set of legalistic arguments, but I suspect that even if all
of man's activities were not present, the time of the quake might have been
delayed by a second or so.... pure guesswork, no way I know of to compute a
value.

>Any good trial lawyer knows that the key to getting
>the client a good settlement is in finding deep-pockets
>responsible.  So we must somehow determine that the earthquake
>that caused the tsunami was a result of global warming,
>which is a result of SUVs, not god.  If we have low
>standards for proof, how can we imagine rising global
>temperatures having caused the Sri Lankan tragedy?  How
>about: higher temperatures caused the seismic plates
>to expand, thus causing them to slip against each other.
>Or: rising global temperatures changed the migration paths
>of local birds, resulting in their landing in an unaccustomed
>location, changing the loading pattern on the tectonic plate,
>resulting in a sudden fracture?  My father in law has suggested
>that pumping all that oil out of the ground allowed the earth
>to collapse into the resulting cavities.
>
>spike

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =