[extropy-chat] invariant be

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 07:59:07 UTC 2005

Hey Spike, happy new year!

It's only a guess, but I'd bet that improper conjugation of the verb
"be" goes all the way back to the first African speakers of English in
the States.  Given that none of the slaves were given English lessons,
and whites' main interest in communicating in slaves was to give
commands, I can't imagine that the slaveholders would have much
interest at all in their slaves properly speaking the King's English.
As long as he could tote that barge and lift that bale, so what if he
says "I be tired?"

I haven't heard MacNeil's language program, but my money says that the
African American you heard probably was either fairly well educated,
or in the company of persons who didn't improperly conjugate "be."

Zero