[extropy-chat] invariant be

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Jan 6 13:23:24 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

>In Robin MacNeil's fascinating language program, a
>recording made in the 1930s of African American speech
>was played.  Curiously, the invariant "be" was completely
>missing ("he be going" instead of "he is going).
>
>I had it in my mind that this signature ebonics
>usage was somehow adapted from Western African
>language groups, but now I am not at all
>sure it isn't a fairly recent American invention,
>perhaps in addition to the double negative often
>heard in such speech.
>
>Has anyone ideas or speculations on where, when or
>how the invariant be came to be?

Perhaps from an English dialect, probably West Country
For example, much of the Southern US sound comes from cotton workers who
immigrated from Lancashire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country_Accent

"In other areas, /be/ may be used exclusively in the present tense,
often in the present continuous; /Where you be going to?/ = /Where are
you going?"/

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-