[extropy-chat] Preparing for low-probability events

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Fri Jan 7 06:10:36 UTC 2005

Hara Ra wrote:

> Har Har Har. The USA RDF (Rapid Deployment Force) is barely a regiment
> (1000 men). Vs how many kilopeople got hurt here....
>
>> OK, it's not reasonable to prepare for each of these events
>> individually. However, we can perhaps prepare for all of them
>> collectively. Any major catastrophe results in a set of consequences,
>> many of which are common. Therefore, we (i.e. the people of the
>> world, as represented by our governments) might create a generic
>> resource to respond to low-probability catastrophes.

Hara, I do not believe that any existing entity can fulfill the
requirement. I am proposing that we create an entity that can fulfill
the requirement. In the US at the current time. the rhetoric would
require us to focus on "terrorism." We could bring the appropriate
resources into existence by justifying them in terms of defense against
a "terrorist attack." The US should create a response to an attack
against any major US city: such a response could, with a tiny
incremental cost, also help respond to a low-probability external
catastrophe.

Take your example. Assume the US really has an RDF of 1000 men. If this
force can truly be instantaneously effective against an arbitrary
"enemy," then they could (with at most trivial additional training) be
effective in a arbitrary catastrophe. 1000 people who can be deployed in
24 hours would make a huge difference in terms of lives saved.

An organization of 1,000-men, applied to the problem immediately, might
save 1,000,000 lives. Even if, in a fit of overweening hubris, you think
that the US should provide 1/2 of the overall quick-reaction resource,
we end up with  2,000 men (half ours, half others.) That's still a huge
force multiplier compared to the response we can currently provide.