[extropy-chat] Preparing for low-probability events

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 7 06:35:47 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, the USA was a part of UNESCO, but that's history. I
certainly agree with your points, but don't feel much optimism per
implementation.

There is also the terrible problem of what is best over what time frame.
Eliezer argues that all resources should go towards Singularity as most
cost effective in human lives. I could argue for nanotechnology in the same
way.

I recall the days of home fallout shelters. The few that were built are now
used for other things. In the meantime there is a cost for replacing
consumables, fixing rot, stale food, bad meds, etc. Let alone keeping a
crew capable of deployment, training others, etc to get it all going.
substantial, and question is - is maintaining same more costly than the
disaster recovery without such help. nasty question.

And, from the nationalistic, and possibly libertarian pov, que bono?

>Hara, I do not believe that any existing entity can fulfill the
>requirement. I am proposing that we create an entity that can fulfill the
>requirement. <snip>

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =