[extropy-chat] (no subject)

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Jan 7 11:16:54 UTC 2005

Spike:
>It isn't hard to believe that such reports, for in the U.S. much of
>our mainstream media appears to be populated with those who oppose the
>current government, and have shown themselves willing and eager to
>spew slanted, exaggerated or false propaganda in an effort to topple
>that regime.  Two glaring examples, Rathergate and
>missing-explosives-gate.

Seems a bit odd to me, if true. I remember that I was distressed to
find that from late-2001 and through the next couple of years, most
mainstream media I encountered  (I visited the US -- in California --
a couple of times a year then) did not criticize the US government
at all except on a rare few radio talk shows, and in the Letters to the
Editor sections of newspapers, and certainly, never on television.

The rest of the world's media is diverse and they were reporting many
things about the middle east if the US folks cared to take a look. If
you have a subscription to The Economist, you might enjoy this article
about what lengths many journalists, especially those working in poorer
countries, go through in order to report news. The press freedom
index is UP in most places in the world.

http://economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=S%27%29%28%3C%25PQ%27%2B%20%40%20R%0A

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/