[extropy-chat] weaponry

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sat Jan 8 00:41:27 UTC 2005

Samantha Atkins wrote:

>As a person who believes in the possibility of indefinitely long
>lifespan, neurological plasticity and unlimited ability of  people to
>learn better given enough time, I would definitely prefer a non-lethal
>weapon of sufficient stopping power in everyday defensive situations
>if such was equivalently available.    I would not willingly kill a
>fellow potential immortal for the stupidity of attacking me if at all
>possible.

"It may be possible for each to think too much of his own potential glory
hereafter; it is hardly possible for him to think too often or too deeply
about that of his neighbor. .. It is a serious thing to live in a society of
possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most
uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you
saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a
corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day
long we are, in some degree helping each other to one or other of these
destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is
with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct
all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all
politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never met a mere mortal.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations - these are mortal, and their life is
to ours as the life of a gnat. But it s with immortals whom we joke with,
work with, marry , snub, and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting
splendors."

C S Lewis

--
Dirk