[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global EnvironmentCitizenAward

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 18:03:42 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins

Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global
EnvironmentCitizenAward

Spike,

And why is it that bright people on this list have mostly only harped on
points they disagree with or that play to their favored positions while
missing the urgency of the inmates having considerable influence in the
earth's only remaining superpower?...

This phrase "only remaining superpower" has been exaggerated.
The U.S. does have a really big really modern military, but
it is getting less big all the time.  Fewer people are signing
up for the reserves, after learning they may be called upon
to go to some evolution-forsaken place and fight, early and
often.  We have seen in the past couple years that under certain
circumstances, a huge coalition of powerful nations can be
very limited in how much it can do.  We have seen where wars
are transitioning from the old fashioned kill-people-and-
destroy-things to a more modern information war.  This transition
started with the first atomic bomb.

... I would think there are more important matters at hand. Or is this sort
of response just diversion in the face of that which one feels powerless to
change?  - samantha

I did do something about it.  In the recent election, W and that
tall senator guy were both religionistas.  I voted against them.

Bill Moyers:

... even the Pentagon is growing alarmed that a weakening gulf stream could
yield abrupt and overwhelming changes, the kind of changes that could
radically alter civilizations...

Moyers seems to speak as tho radically altering civilizations and
overwhelming changes are a bad thing.  I see this radical change as
a most promising development.  The threat of religionistas with
political power is indeed an issue, but I anticipate a change in
the next 10 to 15 years that may be the salvation of humanity.  We
will surely work out wearable computers with continuous links to
the internet.

Most of us here enjoyed having about 20 points tacked
onto our IQs by having access to the internet.  We suddenly
had the biggest library in the world brought to our desktops.
The Google came along, the second member of the holy info-trinity,
the tool that allows us to find things.  The third and possibly
most important development is to have the contents of the
internet with us 24-7.  When we get that, it will be immediately
obvious that anyone without that connection is the modern
day version of a hermit, irrelevant in every important way.

We will be able to download photos instantly from wherever we
are, which will allow us for the first time to see things as
they really are.  We will be able to take photos from any
location and post them.  Instead of bloggers, we would be
phloggers.  When we hear of a news story, we would look
thru the phloggers eyes to see it firsthand.

Car show time!  More later.