[extropy-chat] weaponry

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 22:55:28 UTC 2005

Gedankenexperiments don't save lives, no matter how much handwaving you
do. I don't see any proposals for a real technology here. Not only
that, but the scenario is a failure, for the same reason gun control is
a failure: because it doesn't address those who break the law by not
having a button, or having a hacked button that doesn't work properly.
If the criminal doesn't have such a button, how is a person supposed to
defend themselves against the criminal, since the criminal would then
not be able to be subdued.

--- Hara Ra <harara at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Lets take this one step further: We all have a "vulnerable" button.
> This can be triggered by anyone else within 10 meters or so. First
> shot causes one to sit down safely and stay still for 5 minutes.
> Full sensory recording on, illegal to interfere with immobilized
> person except to save from injury or death. Only those with buttons
> can use them. Second use of button adds 5 more minutes and applies
> to pusher and pushee. At this point local law enforcement is
> signaled.
>
> If after 5 minutes, anyone pushes button, all sit down, lose
> consciousness, local med team or law enforcement has to do reset.
>
> Strong reinforcer of being careful with ones actions....

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)