[extropy-chat] Trees

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 18:06:28 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:
> Spike proposed converting a couple of otherwise-unused  states in the
> western US into tree farms, and did the math. The problem with this
> approach is water.

Water availability is synergistic with forest growth, as forests create
their own climate, but they will likely need some kick starting. For
example, I would support the flooding of Death Valley here in the US,
as well as the Great Rift Valley in eastern Africa to help alter local
weather systems. The Lake Effect from both new bodies of water (as well
as their feeding local aquifers) should help act as a seed for forest
growth.

> As an alternative,
> we can encourage the reconversion of marginal farmland in the eastern
> US: this actually makes economic sense.

Western Americans may not realize it, but this has already occured. NH
was once 90% cleared, it is now 90% forest. This is typical of much of
the eastern states. The problem with forests really isn't in North
America. Our forest growth already absorbs our emissions (which is why
we didn't buy into Kyoto, because Europe didn't want us to be able to
count that forest sequestration, they wanted it shared with everyone).

The real problem with forestation is in Africa and Asia. Solving this
means tying foreign aid to reforestation. Southern europe, Turkey, and
the middle east could stand some effort in this direction as well.

Too heavy reforestation WILL plunge us into an ice age, however, as the
influence of CO2 on climate is steepest at lower concentrations. CO2's
influence follows a diminishing returns curve with increasing concentration.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)