[extropy-chat] Trees

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 10 01:25:19 UTC 2005

 From a productive point of view add trees and plants  with economic value.
Ecology has to pay its way for being  more labour intensive.

Black Walnut and Oak  for long term (50 year ) growth.
Poplar to cut wind and harvest at 3-10 years depending on your level of
water and nutrient inputs.
Hawthorn, buffaloberry, acacia, larch, chokecherry, raspberry,
blackberry ,  for nutraceuticals.

We've done that over the last 15 years.
There is perennial wheat , hemp and other alternative additions which
would turn a suburban acreage
into a useful place that is still  people friendly.
Forages that can be mower mulched into nutraceuticals for people or pets
are better than just plain grass.

Of course, the factors rainfall/water and upper/lower temperatures will
limit some choices.
There are mycorrhizal  additions to make most any soil work workable.

In areas such as ours trees are limited by any competition for water by
surrounding  plants.
You have to create your ecosystem in stages.