[extropy-chat] lunar elevator

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 10 22:04:15 UTC 2005

I recall from L5 days some diagrams of L5 based orbits - they are huge,
look like kidneybeans 100,000 Km in width. This suggests the forces which
maintain L5 orbits are quite small, and if  big counterweight is used, the
orbits are still large with a thread attached to the moon.

I prefer the massdriver approach, well studied in the 80s.

At 09:45 AM 1/10/2005, you wrote:

>>Perhaps moon based manufacturing launched  by mass driver or space elavator.
>
>I'd been under the impression that a lunar elevator wouldn't work; it'd be
>too long or something.

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =