[Bulk] [extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global Environment Citizen Award

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Tue Jan 11 03:32:56 UTC 2005

At 12:12 AM 10/01/05 -0800, you wrote:
>Keith,
>
>I am curious.  What was your opinion before on such ethics (not to mention
>whether it is a worthwhile use of the computational resources)

That uploading people without their consent was unethical.

>and what is it now?

It is still unethical, but perhaps justified considering what they want to
do to the rest of us.

>If, on either side of your chance of heart, you would subject them to a
>simulated Rapture, would they be on the "losing" or "winning" end of same?  :-)

Hmm.  I thought "god's side" winning was part of the story.

>I would be more tempted to run them through a sim where humanity destroys
>itself but before they die they understand utterly that their own
>erroneous beliefs and those of their siblings in spirit, were responsible
>and that their beliefs were in fact totally bogus.

Not worth it.  Bad enough to give them want they claim to want.  I suspect
the operators would have to mess with their boredom threshold to keep them
from going mad after a simulated thousand years of singing around a
simulated thrown of God.

>No need for upload though. A vivid set of induced dreams should do the trick.

I think having a bunch of them in the throws of induced rapture dreams
flailing around in reality isn't a good idea.  In fact, that's much the
problem we have now.

Keith Henson