[extropy-chat] Big Sound theory

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 12 05:52:54 UTC 2005

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/01/12/1105423539638.html?oneclick=true

Universe is flat with a ripple

January 12, 2005 - 3:02PM

Australian astronomers have discovered the so-called missing link that
relates modern galaxies such as the Milky Way to the Big Bang that created
the universe almost 14 billion years ago.

The breakthrough came after a decade of research by an Australian-led team
from the Anglo-Australian Observatory.

The findings have been confirmed by independent research from the
American-led Sloan Digital Sky Survey, announced today at a meeting of the
American Astronomical Society in San Diego, California.

Scientists found the universe is flat, with ripples that began as the
tiniest variations in radiation left over from the Big Bang, which many
cosmologists believe gave birth to the universe.

As it cooled after the giant explosion, the infant universe was actually
making a sound and those waves produced the ripples.

The way galaxies are scattered across the sky now corresponds to the sound
waves in the early times of the cosmos, researchers have found.

The project - called the two-degree field galaxy Redshift survey - involved
mapping the three dimensional distribution in space of 220,000 galaxies,
using complex astronomical instruments at the Anglo-Australian telescope in
north-western New South Wales.

A research team member and Anglo-Australian Observatory scientist, Russell
Cannon, said the findings were of enormous importance.

"What we've done is show the pattern of the galaxies, the distribution of
the galaxies which we see here and now, is completely consistent with this
other pattern that's seen in remnants of the big bang," he told AAP.

The research, Dr Cannon said, added serious weight to the Big Bang theory
about the origin of the universe.

"We've known for a long time that the best theory for the universe is the
Big Bang - that it started in some enormous explosion in a tiny space and
it expanded ever since," he said.

"What we can now be much more confident about is that it is the right basic
idea, it all bolts together very nicely."

A surprise result of the research was new evidence about the expansion of
the universe.

Scientists had believed the universe was expanding but was gradually
slowing down because the force of the gravity should be pulling it back
together.

"So the idea was that we started with an explosion, it blows out but it
gradually goes slower as it's expanding," Dr Cannon said.

"What the observations have proved is that it's not expanding, it's
accelerating. It means that some other force is at work or some other
physics. It's not just the simple gravity picture we had to start with."

The decade of research, Dr Cannon said, had also taken astronomy forward as
a science.

"It's moved cosmology from what was almost a philosophical discussion to
what you might call a proper bit of science, of physics, where we're
measuring numbers and we're able to do a proper comparison of these
theories and observations."

- AAP