[extropy-chat] Re: Ball lightning

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Jan 12 06:20:04 UTC 2005

Dirk wrote:
> A report from a (now dead) father of a friend who saw some form once.
> He said it was created where two parts of the lightning discharge crossed.

It has nothing to do with "crossed discharges".  The Great Plains of the United States has
extremely energetic and unusual storm systems that are largely unique to that region, and in
the couple years I lived out there as a teenager, I saw "ball lightning" twice.

My take:  It is clearly an energetic electromagnetic phenomenon, but I would also assert that
it has little to do with lightning; it is a phenomenon that occurs in proximity to lightning
storms because there are similar prerequisites.  It tends to only interact with conductive
materials.  And it passes through neutral materials like cellulose and glass without
interacting at all.

In fact, if I had to make a wild-ass guess, the basic properties and peculiarities of it makes it
look like an energetic EM phenomenon in something like the microwave range.  Imagine, for
example, if the peculiar electromagnetic meteorological structures of the region acted as
resonators, EM waveguides, or even massive magnitron tubes (or masers?).  If you've seen
some of the bizarre energetic structure of these storms in the several cubic kilometer range,
it would not be surprising.

I've lived in many places that had severe storms, but the Great Plains region of the US has
extremely violent lightning storms and very unusual atmospheric phenomenon that I have
never seen anywhere else.  That "ball lightning" is also common there is probably not a
coincidence, in the same way that the unusual frequency of tornados there is not.

j. andrew rogers