[extropy-chat] Re: Ball lightning

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Wed Jan 12 19:09:21 UTC 2005

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

>Dirk wrote:
>

>>A report from a (now dead) father of a friend who saw some form once.
>>He said it was created where two parts of the lightning discharge crossed.
>>

>It has nothing to do with "crossed discharges".  The Great Plains of the United States has
>extremely energetic and unusual storm systems that are largely unique to that region, and in
>the couple years I lived out there as a teenager, I saw "ball lightning" twice.
>
>My take:  It is clearly an energetic electromagnetic phenomenon, but I would also assert that
>it has little to do with lightning; it is a phenomenon that occurs in proximity to lightning
>storms because there are similar prerequisites.  It tends to only interact with conductive
>materials.  And it passes through neutral materials like cellulose and glass without
>interacting at all.
>
>In fact, if I had to make a wild-ass guess, the basic properties and peculiarities of it makes it
>look like an energetic EM phenomenon in something like the microwave range.  Imagine, for
>example, if the peculiar electromagnetic meteorological structures of the region acted as
>resonators, EM waveguides, or even massive magnitron tubes (or masers?).  If you've seen
>some of the bizarre energetic structure of these storms in the several cubic kilometer range,
>it would not be surprising.

I rather doubt the uwave explanation.
The kind of intensity that would create and sustain a ball of plasma
would have serious effects well outside of that zone as well.
I suspect that it is some kind of self confining plasma with very high
currents flowing in very low resistance paths.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org