[extropy-chat] Deconstructing Nuland

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 20:35:53 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

>http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/02/issue/feature_aging.asp?p=0
> >author: Sherwin Nuland
>
> This statement is typical yet strange:
>
> <I should declare here that I have no desire to live beyond the life
> span that nature has granted to our species.

Nature has never granted our species any guaranteed minimum or maximum
life span. We have long since exceeded that barrier, when savage cro
magnon's and even ancient homo sapiens sapiens average life expectancy
was MAYBE 30 years (i.e. what "nature" "granted" humanity).

> For reasons that are pragmatic, scientific, demographic, economic,
> political, social, emotional, and secularly spiritual, I am
> committed to the notion that both individual fulfillment and the
> ecological balance of life on this planet are best
> served by dying when our inherent biology decrees that we do.

So, it has nothing to do with 'nature' and everything to do with her
political agenda.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)