[extropy-chat] TechnologyReview joins anti-transhumanists

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Jan 14 04:06:19 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:

> The preferred theory seems to be that narcissism is caused by very early
> affective deprivation,

Clinical psychology is sheer plausible nonsense in all its bickering brand
names.  On those occasions when a brand name is tested experimentally, it
fails, and the clinical psychologists go on practicing without pause.  Is
this theory "preferred" because of even the tiniest shred of experimental
evidence?

My advice is to assume that this sort of theorizing is complete nonsense
unless someone cites experimental evidence with a journal reference; and
even then, given the sad state of the field, I would not trust it.